This course is run over a weekend and is suitable for professionals who are working with children, either as school teachers, yoga teachers or in other areas. Applicants need to have their own meditation practice.
The course includes skills and tools to help bring the benefits of mindfulness to children, building their resilience and ability to cope with stress and difficult situations. It also gives teachers techniques to support their own practice.
On the course you will work through a six-week course (including lesson plans) that can be delivered in primary school for KS1 and KS2. As well as the material in the lesson plans there will be other material you can use in the classroom, in yoga sessions or in your professional work with children.
On the course you will learn how to:
- Integrate mindfulness techniques into your yoga session or classroom
- Plan sessions for your group
- Use tools to help families and children improve listening skills
- Help children establish their own regular meditation practice
- Write your own visualisations for children
The course will include:
- Breath awareness techniques and relaxation exercises that are suitable for different age groups
- How children can take the skills they learn in mindfulness and meditation sessions and use them to enhance their everyday life
- How to create an appropriate meditation environment for your sessions and ways to help children set up their own “mindful space”
- Working with the senses and how they can help awareness of ourselves and the world around us
- The difference between adult and chldren’s meditation and mindfulness and how to ensure you work within safe limits
- How to explain and demonstrate the benefits of mindfulness to children
The course will include group work, discussion, lectures and practical sessions. Skills and techniques learned over the two-day course will include: mudras; breath work; ways to help children improve focus, concentration and develop mindfulness; listening exercise; mantras; affirmations; rhymes; techniques to develop visualisation skills; movement and quiet games.
The course draws on meditation and mindfulness techniques from several traditions and schools but is presented in a practical and secular way.
Weekend One – Ages 2 1/2 to 7
Benefits of yoga for children
Age grouping and developmental milestones
Exploring books, poems and rhymes as teaching tools
Age-appropriate teaching points for asanas
Breath awareness and relaxation techniques
Class planning and structure
Class management techniques
Teaching meditation and visualisation
Using music in your class